Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Post Tenebras Lux Post Tenebras Lux is offline

Default Evaluate (Variable Function Name)?

Thanks. It works great until you change
DataSeries as single
to DataSeries() as single.

My error in the initial explanation: it doesn't seem able to pass an array,
only single value arguments.

Any more thoughts?

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

Following code works by me:

HTH
--
AP

'----------------------------------
Option Explicit

Function CalcRSI(DataSeries As Single, Periods As Integer) As Variant
CalcRSI = DataSeries * Periods
End Function

Sub tester()
Const strName = "RSI"
Dim strCalcName As String
Dim x As Long
Dim arg1 As Single
Dim arg2 As Integer

strCalcName = "Calc" & strName
arg1 = 3
arg2 = 4
x = Evaluate(strCalcName & "(" & arg1 & "," & arg2 & ")")
MsgBox x

End Sub
'-------------------------------------

"Post Tenebras Lux" a écrit dans
le message de news: ...
I forgot to mention that if I put everything inside the evaluate function
into a string variable, and then try Evaluate(strWholeExpression) then it
compiles, it runs, but just exits the sub (I presume out of disgust for my
technique) at this line without any error messages.

"Post Tenebras Lux" wrote:

It's probably not possible, but I wonder if I can build a generic sub
that
builds a function name at runtime using Evaluate (or another method)?

For example, I have a function CalcRSI which works fine.

CalcRSI(DataSeries as single, Periods as integer) as Variant

I have other functions CalcSMA, CalcEMA, CalcWhatever that take the same
arguments. Rather than explicitly call each one, separately, I would
like to
build a generic sub that funnels all my functions (that use the same
inputs).

So I'd like to replace
x = CalcRSI(same arguments)
y = CalcSMA(same arguments)
z= CalcEMA(same arguments)

with
strCalcName = "Calc" & strName

x = Evaluate(strCalcName & "(" & arg1 & "," & arg2 & ")" )

I have other reasons for wanting to simplify this process that are not
relevant here.

The above compiles ok, but at runtime, I get "Run-time error 13 Type
mismatch", at the x = Evaluate(...) line.

I guess Excel is telling me it can't be done, and yet, ... It really
will
make a difference if I can do this, but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks in advance, and I won't shoot the messenger.