Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harald Staff Harald Staff is offline

Default MSQuery question

Hi

In Query, click the SQL button and you see the real expression, something
like

SELECT T_Table.ID, T_Table.Description
FROM T_Table

Edit it to read something like

SELECT T_Table.ID, LEFT(T_Table.Description, 2500)
FROM T_Table

I say "something like" because the expression LEFT may not work on all
databases, this is tested on Access and I can't get to other databases on
this computer. Oracle uses SUBSTR for similar things. Try-and-fail or Google
up what word your database driver uses on this.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"LarryLL" skrev i
melding ...

I am using MS Query to retrieve information from a database, and return
the data to excel. Normally this works fine, however if the db field
contains more than 32K characters, Excel crashes.

Is there a way to specify in my database query not get more than the
first 2500 characters of a particular field?

Thanks

--
LarryLL
LarryLL's Profile: