Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
in-over-his-head-bill in-over-his-head-bill is offline

Default Help! Run time error 1004, range of object_global failed

I am getting the subject line error, but only ocassionally when I run my code
-- and I can't figure out a pattern to when it bombs and when it doesn't.

My code is in workbook 1, I open a user-specified workbook 2, which is the
active workbook when it reaches this sub. I am trying to replace the data in
the user-specified range in workbook 2 with new data from a recordset and
save to the same range name.

savetorange is a public string variable containing the user-specified range
name.

Can anyone see what is wrong with the code below? Thanks.

Public Sub manageoutput_exists()

Dim rngResultSet As Range
Dim ww As Variant

' get upper-left most cell of the current range in workbook 2
ww = Range(savetorange).Cells(1, 1).Address

'delete the range
Range(savetorange).Delete

'add field headers from the results of the sql query

For j = 0 To recset.Fields.Count - 1
-next line bombs
Range(ww).Offset(0, j).Value = recset(j).Name
Next j

'copy the recordset data below the headers
ww = Range(ww).Offset(1, 0).Address
Range(ww).CopyFromRecordset recset

Set rngResultSet = Range(ww).End(xlDown).End(xlToRight).CurrentRegion
rngResultSet.Name = savetorange
ActiveWorkbook.Save

End Sub