fiona nelson

Charles,

As well as what Ken suggests, if your data is ordered specifically for
purpose (ie sorting would destroy that ordering), you can use autofilters for
the same result.

Highlight your first row, go to Data/Filter/Autofilter, this forces excel to
use the first row as the heading row, use one of the arrows that appear in
your cells and choose "blank". All the rows in that column that are blank
will be displayed. You can then choose all of these rows and delete them
without ruining the ordering of your data.

Be Warned: Filtering needs to have at least one column "full", so if you
have entire blank lines, add a column that has nonsense (such as a
consecutive number) in it that runs the entire length of the data field, and
use that as the full column. This will allow the filtering to work properly.

To display your data again go to Data/Filter/Show All. Voila - all your
data is displayed again. Before I got comfortable with using fitlers and
deleting a whole heap of things, I would save a copy of my spreadsheet just
in case!

HTH
Fiona Nelson

"Charles" wrote:

Hi All:

I have a file with many blank lines. I don't want to delete them by hands
because this is a huge file. Is there any way I can delete these blank
lines wisely? Any advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Charles