Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default contains formula

After further experimentation, I found that the "mid" formula does not work.
It either returns "ok" for everything or, when adjustments are attempted,
returns "x" for everything. I will keep trying and will report anything that
does work.

Sorry about that.

Jim

"Jim Jackson" wrote:

Sorry about misunderstanding your request.

If the identical data is always on the left, this will work:

=IF(LEFT(A1,) = LEFT(B1,),"ok","x")

I tried it on the first pair, leaving the number of characters blank and got
the correct response.

=IF(MID(A1,1,) = MID(B1,1,),"ok","x") seems to work if the identical sets
are in different locations withint their respective cells.

Let me know if it works for you as it did for me.

Best wishes,

Jim
"xtrmhyper" wrote:

any formula in excel?