Lucien

Thanks, it worked great!

Chris

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You could use a macro, but I'd just use an extra column with a bunch of
formulas:

In B1 of sheet1:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))

in B1 of sheet2:
=isnumber(match(a1,sheet1!a:a,0))

And drag each down the range.

All of these formulas will return TRUE if there's a match, FALSE if no match.

You could even add header rows and do Data|Filter|Autofilter to see just the
ones you want.

And by using that extra cell, you can use lots of builtin excel features. If
you use colors, then it becomes more difficult to work with the data.

Lucien wrote:

I have one file with 2 different worksheets. Each worksheet contains a long
list of item id's. Worksheet 1 has 4,883 lines of data in column A.
Workshhet 2 has 185 lines of data in column A. I would like a macro to run
that will check each column for duplicate item id's and maybe color the cell
to identify the item that occur on both worksheets. I am a novice with
macros, so any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Chris

--

Dave Peterson