Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default reading data from thumnails

If you are you trying to read the 'EXIF' tags in your digital photos,
download this cool class -

http://www.veign.com/vrc_codeview.asp?type=app&id=104

and drag or import the class into a vba project.

The author gave an example of usage but try this crude bit of brute in a
normal module in the same project -

Sub test2()

Dim objExif As New ExifReader
Dim txtExifInfo As String
Dim i As Long, rw As Long
Dim sFile As String
Dim v

sFile = "C:\Path_To_Jpg.jpg"

objExif.Load sFile
For i = 1 To 60000
With objExif
v = .Tag(i)
If Len(v) Then
rw = rw + 1
Cells(rw, 1) = "&H" & CStr(Hex(i))
Cells(rw, 2) = "'" & CStr(v)
End If
End With
Next
'txtExifInfo = objExif.Tag(ISOSpeedRatings)
'MsgBox txtExifInfo
End Sub

Look at the hex codes to see what info your file contains and look these up
under "Public Enum EXIF_TAG" in the class module, then make a more sensible
function to suit your needs.

Regards,
Peter T

"michael.a7" wrote
in message ...

I have some photos and I'm creating a sheet that inventories my images.
I am inserting a photo thumbnail on the sheet and I would like excel to
read the (ITCP) data from the image such as date it was taken, Fstop,
focal length, etc. and automatically fill in the corresponding fields.

Does excel have the capability to retrieve that information from the
photo?
Thanks

--
michael.a7