Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Finding Last Cell that Has Data

I assume you know how many columns wide you are sorting. I also assume that
your data populates all the way to the bottom of column A (if not then we
need to get a bit more fancy)... You just need to change the "??" to
whichever is your last column...

Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
Dim rngToSort As Range
Dim wks As Worksheet

Set wks = Sheets("XYZ")
Set rngToSort = Range("??3",Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))

rngToSort.Sort Key1:=Range("A3"), order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"caldog" wrote:

I have search through prior posting of how to find last row, then sort from
that information, But I must be doing something wrong becasue I still get a
error message. Also the first cell will always be 'A3'.

Here is the code that I have put together:

Private Sub cmdSort_Click()
Dim rngToSort As Range
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim wks As Worksheet

Set wks = Sheets("XYZ")
Set rngToSort = Range("A3",LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row)
As Range

rngToSort.Sort Key1:=Range("A3"), order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo

End Sub

Can somebody show me what I'm doing wrong.

Steve