Jon Peltier

Hari Prasadh wrote:

Hi Jon,

Its fantabulous.

:)

I tried it on one slide and it works flawlessly and no objects get
dislocated and neither repositioned . Moreover my code also becomes less
cluttered as now I wont have to remember object positions and what not . In
the old way of copy-paste even after remembering and forcibly applying the
positions the stuff was far from perfect and considerable manual formatting
was required.

I was as surprised as you that it worked so nicely. Of course, my
example was a simple column chart, but even the simple charts have
problems with the OLE activate & paste techniques.

Just to tell you in the old method I was also having problems of view of the
charts changing from charts to the worksheet behind the data, which caused
further aggravation for me.

It is problems like this which have kept me away from using such objects
in my projects, and which keep Brian on my case.

Im surprised that this simple solution wasnt thought by before!!! (Brian,
cant resists from pulling your legs - I can hide under the cloak of being a
beginner but what about you!!)

I usually just blame PowerPoint (Brian's a Ppt MVP, after all), but I
see that now PowerPoint's been fixed, and we can all use it.

This technique worked well enough that I might even have to start using it.
Hear that, Brian?

2 points I would like to add: -

a) In one of the earlier posts in PPT group I asked for project mgmt of PPT
automation using Excel and Brian asked a very important question as to the
base application (excel or PPT) im using for programming. I said excel
because I could pinch Jon's pre-built tutorials. I think one more important
needs to be added to the list which is as to whether one is creating objects
on the fly in PPT or whether one has a template in which one is populating
new data using Jon's latest method. The second would be extremely helpful
when the slides involve lot of custom/individual formatting differences
across objects (within slides/across slides). I think that way the if one
has a pre-built template the one doesnt have to "code" those custom
formatting within each individual sub. Less code, less debugging headache.

Definitely. My projects typically include one or more templates, with
all of the boilerplate built in. If I have a few options, I either make
a bigger template and remove what I don't need, or I make multiple
templates. If the project involves Excel and PowerPoint, I usually use
templates in XL and PPT, though the PowerPoint ones aren't really
templates, but rather preformatted presentations with the various slides
that will be needed. I guess before long we'll do it all with XML and XLS.

b) Jon if possible please add this new way of your to the web-site. Others
wont have to break their heads with PPT object dislocations.

I actually thought of this approach based on an email from another
person, after having followed this thread. It worked for him, and now it
works for you, and both of you are clamoring for more pages on my web
site. I'll see if my publisher wants to commission a few pages (oops,
that's me, so I guess I'm doing it on my own time).

I write the occasional article, though, and this is a pretty good topic
for such an article. As I said, in my "free time", which means September
or so. I'll be traveling then, and I can't do real work on the plane,
but I can often use the time for reports and articles.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services