Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tas Tas is offline

Default A fast way to fill cells in Excel

Yes... well unfortunatlly the client wants this data into excel sheets
generated (because he also wants the cell format...). My problem is not
really the amount of data, and if I will work lets say with 100 times less
cell also I will have the same problem... In my other postings I explained
what I need to do... Anyway thanks for the advice (It seems that until now I
have one not so easy solution... to generate myself the xls files (to
building an Excel Generator...)).

Regards,
T.
"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Not to rain on your parade but 200 sheets * 50,000 rows x 100 columns means
that you will be working with 1 billion cells. Excel is not really
comfortable with that much data. Take a look at this page for some memory
limits...

http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

Based on the amount of data you are working with you shoul really look at a
database. It handles that volume of data much more effectively.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tas" wrote:

Hello there,

I have some questions regarding this Excel Automation (I'm not an expert on
this so please "excuse" if the questions are too trivial)...

I try to build a small application that will generate a very large number of
columns and rows into Excel sheets (lets say about 200 sheets each one with
50 000 rows and 100 columns). There is a way to store "Cell" objects in
arrays so I could lets say "create" them into this array and than add the
array to a specific range (similar to the "Text", double, short storage into
an array...)? Why I'm asking this is because my Cells must have a specific
format (they are somehow structured as "BLOCKS" and this block will repeat
itself for many times) and I need a fast way to "copy" this "block"... I
already did a sample where I'm generatig arround 10 000 "blocks" on a sheet,
each block containing 3 rows and 15 colums, having each cell with a different
color and a random border. The time until it was finished was arround 31
seconds... Can I do this faster? Any ideas are more than wellcome.

Thanks,
Tas