Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default A fast way to fill cells in Excel

Not to rain on your parade but 200 sheets * 50,000 rows x 100 columns means
that you will be working with 1 billion cells. Excel is not really
comfortable with that much data. Take a look at this page for some memory
limits...

http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

Based on the amount of data you are working with you shoul really look at a
database. It handles that volume of data much more effectively.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tas" wrote:

Hello there,

I have some questions regarding this Excel Automation (I'm not an expert on
this so please "excuse" if the questions are too trivial)...

I try to build a small application that will generate a very large number of
columns and rows into Excel sheets (lets say about 200 sheets each one with
50 000 rows and 100 columns). There is a way to store "Cell" objects in
arrays so I could lets say "create" them into this array and than add the
array to a specific range (similar to the "Text", double, short storage into
an array...)? Why I'm asking this is because my Cells must have a specific
format (they are somehow structured as "BLOCKS" and this block will repeat
itself for many times) and I need a fast way to "copy" this "block"... I
already did a sample where I'm generatig arround 10 000 "blocks" on a sheet,
each block containing 3 rows and 15 colums, having each cell with a different
color and a random border. The time until it was finished was arround 31
seconds... Can I do this faster? Any ideas are more than wellcome.

Thanks,
Tas