Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] sandip.dhamapurkar@gmail.com is offline

Default Count & List Combinations

Hi!

I was wondering if it is ever possible to make combinations in excel or
access or any other software based on my criteria.

Total number I have starts from 1 to 85. I want to count and list all
possible combinations but in a specific way. For instance 1,2,3,4,5,6
is a valid combination but for me it is NOT the first number in a
combination (in this example - 1) should be present in N1 column (It
is), the second number and third number (2 and 3) are also a part of N2
and N3 but the next three numbers (4 5 and 6) are not a part of N4 N5
and N6 hence it is INVALID.

I know that all possible combinations of 6 numbers of total 85 would be
437353560
[ =COMBIN(85,6) ]

Is it possible to count how many out of 437353560 falls within my
criteria and preferably list them? Nobody can do it manually, I was
wondering if it is possible to do it using a computer program.

N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6
1 2 3 52 58 61
2 3 4 53 59 62
3 4 5 54 60 63