Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robin Hammond[_2_] Robin Hammond[_2_] is offline

Default SQL? Index? Excel?

NiNi,

In SQL terms, 50,000 records is tiny, so this should be quick.

I want to output all the employee's name whose salary is below
10,000

SELECT EmployeeName FROM my_table WHERE Salary <=10,000

the group between 10,000 and 20,000

SELECT EmployeeName FROM my_table WHERE Salary 10,000 AND Salary <=20,000

How can I get only one HSBC and one Whavocia into
Excel cell for a selection?

SELECT Top 1 EmployeeName FROM my_table WHERE Bank = 'Wachovia'
SELECT Top 1 EmployeeName FROM my_table WHERE Bank = 'HSBC'

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"NiNi" wrote in message
Haven't done programming for a while-rusty now. Need help from any of you:
1) Trying to retrive data from SQL server to Excel by VBA. The SQL
database
is huge, which has over 50,000 data in it. But only 2 columns have index.
For
example, I want to output all the employee's name whose salary is below
10,000, and the group between 10,000 and 20,000, while the salary does not
have index, but employee's name has index. As the database is huge, it
takes
forever to get the data. Anyone has idea to improve the speed? Or any
alternative?

2) trying to run the macro and retrive some data into Excel sheet for
selection. For example, I have 1000 employee use the bank HSBC, and
another
2000 people use Whacovia. How can I get only one HSBC and one Whavocia
into
Excel cell for a selection?

Thank you very much and appreciate your ideas.