Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gordon Smith \(eMVP\) Gordon Smith \(eMVP\) is offline

Default Controlling switching to other sheets

(Please ignore the MVP part of my "name". I'm not an Excel MVP and the
question I have is probably fairly basic.)

I have a XLS which is really an order form. I want to prevent navigation to
other sheets until all "mandatory" fields are filled out on the current
sheet. With a quick search on google, I found 2 approaches. I was
wondering if there is a 3rd which maps better to what I want to acheive.

The 2 I found a
1. Keep the other sheets hidden until all of the mandatory fields are
filled out.
2. Use the Workbook_SheetActivate event to pop up a warning dialog and then
move them back to the original sheet. This looks unprofessional in that you
get a glimpse at the next sheet while the dialog is up. Once you click
"ok", you are brought back to the original sheet.

What I'm aiming for is:
3. As soon as they click on a tab for a different sheet, pop up the warning
box but WITHOUT actually reaching the next sheet - even if just for a short
time. Is there a "before sheet activate" event or some other similar
approach I should be using?

Thanks in advance.

--
Gordon Smith (eMVP)