Cheese

Default Help with ShowFilter macro

I'm trying to use this ShowFilter UDF written by Tom Ogilvy (see bottom of
post). It says to use...

=showfilter(B2)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,B3)*0+32)

....in a cell to show the criteria for Column B. For one thing, I don't
understand the cells B2 and B3 business. What is supposed to be in those
cells?

I would like this function to appear in the cell directly above or below the
Autofilter menu cell. How do I change the function if the Autofilter criteria
menu is in, cell A3, for example, and I want the criteria (this function) to
appear just above, in cell A2?

After trying all sorts of things in different cells, the only thing I would
get is the #VALUE error.

Thanks for your help.

Public Function ShowFilter(rng As Range)
'UDF that displays the filter criteria.
'posted by Tom Ogilvy 1/17/02
'To make it respond to a filter change, tie it to the subtotal command.
'=showfilter(B2)&CHAR(SUBTOTAL(9,B3)*0+32)
'So the above would show the criteria for column B

Dim filt As Filter
Dim sCrit1 As String
Dim sCrit2 As String
Dim sop As String
Dim lngOp As Long
Dim lngOff As Long
Dim frng As Range
Dim sh As Worksheet
Set sh = rng.Parent
If sh.FilterMode = False Then
ShowFilter = "No Active Filter"
Exit Function
End If
Set frng = sh.AutoFilter.Range

If Intersect(rng.EntireColumn, frng) Is Nothing Then
ShowFilter = CVErr(xlErrRef)
Else
lngOff = rng.Column - frng.Columns(1).Column + 1
If Not sh.AutoFilter.Filters(lngOff).On Then
ShowFilter = "No Conditions"
Else
Set filt = sh.AutoFilter.Filters(lngOff)
On Error Resume Next
sCrit1 = filt.Criteria1
sCrit2 = filt.Criteria2
lngOp = filt.Operator