Bryan Hessey

Your problem in trying to work in Weeks rather than Days is that 5 days
(Monday to Friday) can be 1 week (ie, a week of leave entitlement) or
3/5 weeks (Thursday to Monday) , or 9 days (Saturday to Sunday-week)
can be 1 week.

You would need to use the Weekday function on the first date and asses
whether a week is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 days from that point.

A suggestion is that you work in Days and report the 'Leave Remaining'
in the integer of (days / 5) (as weeks) and days.

Otherwise you need to count the number of non-working days that are in
the period (including public holidays) and subtract them from the
Datedif answer.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and thanks Dave for the reminder of
the Chips site, he has some good stuff there. ('stuff' being a
technical term)

Dave Peterson Wrote:
But the OP did want the number of weeks, not days.

(But Chip's site is an excellent resouce for =datedif().)

Dave Peterson wrote:

Just to add to Bryan's reply...

If you're going to use =datedif(), take a look at Chip Pearson's

notes at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

Bryan Hessey wrote:

The DateDif will do this, assuming the start date is in A1, the end

date
is in A2, and A3 is formatted to Number, no decimal places.

=DateDif(A1,A2+1,"D")

should give you what you need.

spudgun Wrote:
Hi, I'm both new here and to Excel generally!

I'm running Excel 2003.

I've designed a spreadsheet for my work to calculate holiday

taken,
days left etc.
To make my job easier(!) I'm using (attempting to use!)

formulae.
I can calculate days & hours taken for a given period but what I

would
like to do is calculate the number of weeks from two dates (date

leave
started to date leave ended.)

EG: week leave started is 03/01/05 week leave finished is

23/01/05 = 2
weeks.

Is this possible?

Thanks