Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Ed Ed is offline

Default Word crashed after repeated XL macro use

Unless... there is an "on error resume next" someplace.
Wow, Jim! You are _good_!! As a matter of fact, the whole end of the macro
is
CleanUp:
On Error Resume Next
doc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
appWD.Quit
Set doc = Nothing
Set appWD = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

The intention was that if an error is thrown early into the macro, like
after setting the Word app object but not the document object, I could drop
here to close out any object still remaining without causing more errors
because I'm trying to manipulate an object that doesn't exist.

Perhaps better would be to explicitly label the doc variable as belonging to
the Word application when I close?
CleanUp:
On Error Resume Next
appWD.doc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
appWD.Quit
Set doc = Nothing
Set appWD = Nothing
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

"Jim Cone" wrote in message
Ed,

"so doc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
should be recognized. Is this an inaccurate assumption?"

Yes, however you may have lucked out.
Since the constant's value in Word is 0 (zero), that may the
value being assigned when Excel can't read it.
However, Excel should be throwing an error.
Unless... there is an "on error resume next" someplace.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Ed" wrote in message
Thanks for the response, Jim, and sorry for the confusion. The objects
are
declared with:
Dim appWD As New Word.Application
Dim doc As Word.Document
and set with:
Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application")
appWD.Visible = False
Set doc = appWD.Documents.Add

My assumption was that Excel VBA would thereafter recognize "doc" as
having
Word properties and methods, so
doc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
should be recognized. Is this an inaccurate assumption?

Ed

"Jim Cone" wrote in message
Ed,

There are a couple of things that could be confusing to the
applications...

How would Word or Excel read: appWD.doc.Close...?
Is appWD the document or is doc the document?
Maybe doc is not the best choice for a Word object variable.

Since wdDoNotSaveChanges is not an Excel constant and you are
running the program from Excel, you should qualify the constant...
appWD.wdDoNotSaveChanges
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Ed" wrote in message
I have an Excel macro that call a new instance of Word and creates a new
document, does some things in the doc, then closes the doc without saving
changes and sets the doc and Word app objects to nothing using
doc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
appWD.Quit
Set doc = Nothing
Set appWD = Nothing

I used the macro this morning repeatedly - perhaps 30 times in
succession.
(Each time had to be an individual call - there was no way to loop this.)
After doing all that, I did not check to see if there were any open
instances of Word left (there were none during testing, so I didn't think
should have to) or other issues. Then I tried to open a Word document
with
an AutoOpen macro, and Word crashed. Subsequent attempts produced
further
crashes. I wound up eventually having to rebuild Normal to get things
moving again.

Question: Could just repeatedly accessing the Word app have caused this?
Is there a better way to avoid these issues in the future?

Ed