Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
bradsalmon bradsalmon is offline

Default Workbooks.Opentext - oldskool '97

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure this out no matter what I try so I'd really
appreciate if anyone could answer a couple of quick questions on this
bit of code (I know it's old skool now but it needs to be in Office 97)
-

I've got an Access 97 database trying to mess around with a couple of
excel files -
Dim xlApp as object, mysheet as object, mysheet2 as object
set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
set mysheet = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("myfile.xls").Sheets(1)
set mysheet2 = xlApp.Workbooks.OpenText("myfile.txt", , 1, xlDelimited,
xlTextQualifierNone, False, False, False, False, False, True, "|",
Array(1,2)).Sheets(1)

but when it gets to mysheets2 I get run time error 424 - Object
Required. Although strangely when I make Excel visible I can see that
it's opened the file. Hence my questions are -
- Can the vba version of Excel open to workbooks at the same time (I
would assume so)?
- Or is the mysheet2 object trying to reference sheet 1 before the file
has been converted?
- Other than that, what am I doing wrong

I want to move forward with -
mysheet2.cells(2,8).Formula = "=A1*A2"
but as mysheet2 doesn't reference anything I can't get past it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks,

Brad