JE McGimpsey

In article ,
"Gordon" wrote:

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message

I assume that your using + to start formulae is just a holdover from
Lotus 1-2-3, and that you realize that it's superfluous in XL.

Umm no it's not. try typing "A1+B1" (without the quotes) into a cell .Excel
thinks that is TEXT! Try it with 1+2 as well Excel STILL thinks that is
text.
In fact, if you type "1+2" (without the quotes) in Lotus, yes, it adds them
up! In Excel you HAVE to type in either "=" or "+" or "-" in front of your
formula.

Yes, of course. What I meant is that typing + rather than = leaves a
superfluous character in the formula (the leading +)...incomplete
wording on my part <sigh.