Tom Ogilvy

Just some added experience:

It may be easier written, but this is less robust. Simply hitting the
spacebar in A1 or A2 would cause it to display #Value. Sum is a bit more
robust.

=Sum(A1:A2)

since the cells are contiguous.

Tom Ogilvy

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Hi, Amy. The cell is formatted as text. Try first formatting the cell as
general. If that doesn't work, select it, and hit Edit--Clear--All and
save the file, then re-enter your formula. Also, note that your formula is
much easier written as =A1+A2
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"AMY Z." wrote in message
Hi I'm fairly new with functions. I am working with Excel 2003

I wrote a simple function =SUM(A1,A2)
The cell the function is in is cell A3.

What's weird is, the formula is always displayed in the A3 cell. Not in

the
background.
The spreadsheet was started by someone else. Would they have some kind

of
format that causes this? I've never had this problem before.

Hope I explained this right.
Thanks for your time
Amy