Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Count number of shifts...

I never assumed they were on separate rows since that isn't what you
displayed.

I do have some corrections. In all cases, the formula should be like:

C2: =IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A2,{"*Y*","*S*"}))=2,1,0)
D2: =IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A2,{"*Y*","*S*"}))=1,1,0)
E2: =IF(SUM(COUNTIF(A2,{"*Y*","*S*"}))=0,1,0)

Also, you don't need anything in the Column area and the 3 buttons in the
data area shoud be SUM of instead of COUNT of.

I have implemented this with your data and it produced:

Data
Cat Sum of Double Sum of Single Sum of Mon-Fri
FT1 2 0 0
FT3 0 0 2
PT2 1 0 0
Grand Total 3 0 2

putting in 3 formulas and then filling down the column takes about 15
seconds.

Not sure what you consider fast. Buiding the pivot table takes about 30
seconds once you have it worked out.

I will send you sample workbook at assuming it is legit.
Tom Ogilvy

" wrote:

I usually export to Access - then move to Excel.

Tony, you're absolutely right. But replacing a "M" with a 1, doesn't
reduce the number of day-of -week variations. There would still be a
huge number of combinations.

Tom, maybe I'm missing something, but all of my data is approx. 700+
rows and each is different. The schedule and shift data are not in
separate rows. Is there a way I can quickly format rows that contain
MTW--YS, FT3 to the format you define?

Thanks guys!