mark kubicki

Default work-around for "vlookup: with unsorted data

i have a range of data that i am using for the a drop-down validation list (column 1) (it is entered in an order that makes logical sense for the drop down;) however, i also want to use that same list for a vlookup table (returning the results from column 2) -it is not "sorted" and would give me problems with the vlookup... is there a "work-around" that would allow me to use the same list for both the drop-down and the lookup without having to create redundant (and potentially unsynchronized) lists?

pushing this out of the territory of an XL function and into VB is O.K.!!!

COLUMN 1
cup COLUMN 2
16
3/4 cup 12