Sam Spade Sam Spade is offline
Junior Member

Question Losing Data From Formulas When Cell Variable Changes

I’m hoping that you might be able to shed some light on an issue that I’m having with the MS EXCEL functions. I’m simply trying to retain Cell Values produced from formulas that are activated by Time. This will allow an immediate visual comparison from one time interval to the next as well have data to be stored later.

Let’s say I have a single cell (D5) that automatically changes the numerical value with time (say minutes). This is the triggering mechanism. When the cell D5 reads 30 (minutes) a series of cells with formulas are activated and produce cell values.
For Cell F5 ( =IF (D5=30, formula A)
For Cell F6 ( =IF (D5=30, formula B)
For Cell F7 ( =IF (D5=30, formula C)
Etc., etc.....

This all works very nicely (for a minute).
However, as soon as the timing cell changes numerically to 29 (minutes), all of the formula Value cells lose the data created at the 30 min. interval. Then when the D5 cell reads 25 (minutes) the cells with formulas are once again activated and produce cell values. Then at 24 (minutes) the data is lost, and so on, and so on......

I would like to automatically retain all of the cell values that were produced at each designated time interval even if it means repeating the series of Value cells for each time interval.
Cells F5 thru F15 for 30 minute interval
Cells G5 thru G15 for 25 minute interval
Cells H5 thru H15 for 20 minute interval
Etc., etc.....
Is there any type of function that can be included to lock the data in once it’s produced? I've also tried the COUNTIF function to check the timing cell, but that also reverts to "0" when this cell changes.