Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Database Linked Spreadsheet

Most would prepopulate the cell with (assume the value is entered in A1 -
then in B1)

=if(A1="","",vlookup(A1,Sheet3!A:M,3))

If you mean a database like Access or SQL Server rather than a "table" on a
worksheet, then you could retrieve the data by using the Change event as a
trigger.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm for an overview of what events are
available.

Tom Ogilvy

"jwilliamson" wrote:

I have never done any programming in excel, I am a pretty experience
programmer but here is my dillema. I need a spreadsheet, that when you
type a value in a cell, it looks up the value in a database (it is the
primary key of the table) and populates other columns in that row with
the data associated with that value. Is this something feasable to
program in excel? If it is, how would I go about getting this to work.
Thanks.

-Jon Williamson

--
jwilliamson