Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter Ostermann[_3_] Peter Ostermann[_3_] is offline

Default Protecting formatted cells.

"gerry" wrote:

Hi Gerry,

In addition it prevents
the values in cells from being altered if the cell is locked. By
default all cells are locked, so you have to specifically unlock all
cells thorough the format screen that you want to modify.

Most of the cells got to be locked.
The making IMHO is: First unprotecting the sheet.
Second selecting all cells and locking them.

Next step is to protect the sheet (to "set" the
cell locking - I wonder if this step can be avoided).
Then unprotect it again.

Third is to unlock the cells which got to be open
for to allow their value being changed.
But this removes also the locking of the cells
formatting and by that the protection against
overwriting the format.

This
affectively does what you want as an unlocked cell's value can be
altered but no formatting can be changed on any cells on the sheet.

It is not the fact. Please point out what is wrong in my above
description.

Typically this is used for a form where only data entry boxes are
unlocked. This also give a good side effect in that whan a sheet is
protected hitting tab key steps from one unlocked cell to the next