RagDyer

Try this.

Let's rank on *Sheet1*, in an adjoining column, say you use Column C.
In C2, enter this formula:

=RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$6)

And copy down to C6.

Now, on *Sheet2*, enter this formula in C2:

=SMALL(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$6,ROW(A1))

And copy down to C6.

NOW, enter this *array* formula on *Sheet2* in A2:

=INDEX(Sheet1!A$2:A$6,LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$6=$C 2,ROW(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5)),C
OUNTIF($C2:$C$6,$C2)))
--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

Then copy this formula across to B2, and then select A2 and B2, and drag
down to copy both to Row 6.

This should give you what you asked for.
--
HTH,

RD

"Paul (ESI)" wrote in message
Awesome! Thanks, RagDyer! That worked wonderfully. Just one prolem,

though.
It doesn't work if two people have the same score. In my example, I

changed
it to give Batman and Willy Wonka a 95%. Since Batman came first, it just
listed him ranked twice.

Also, is there a way to change it, in a case like this, to show both of

them
ranked the same if they are tied? For example, instead of one being 3 and

one
being 4, they'd both be 3. I think maybe I'm making things too complicated
now, so I'll understand if this is not possible.

--
Have a nice day!

~Paul
Express Scripts,
Charting the future of pharmacy

"RagDyer" wrote:

Say your list is on Sheet1, A2:B6.

On Sheet2, starting in C2 to C6, enter:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Then, enter this formula in A2 of Sheet2:

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$B$6,MATCH(LARGE(Sheet1!$B$2:$B $6,$C2),Sheet1!$B$2:$B$6,0
),COLUMN(A:A))

Then copy this formula across to B2, and then select A2 and B2, and drag
down to copy both to Row 6.
--
HTH,

RD

"Paul (ESI)" wrote in message
"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

You need a column of formulas on your other worksheet (preferably the

first column of your table)
that ranks the scores. Then you can extract any information using

VLOOKUP
formulas, linked to that
first column, along the lines of

=VLOOKUP(Row(A1),Scoring!$A$1:$J$100,COLUMN(A1),F ALSE)

Copy that down and across, and you will get the table from Scoring,

cells
A1:J100, sorted in order.

I'm not sure that I understand. What kind of formula would I need to

rank
the scores? That is part of my question to begin with. I'm trying to

figure
out how to get it to associate each score with an appropriate rank

based
on
the other scores. You've told me how to get it to list the way I

displayed
once I have them ranked, but I still don't understand how to assign

each
one
a rank to begin with. If you answered that, I don't understand.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Paul,

Oh, I also forgot to mention that you need to ensure that you have a

tie-breaking mechanism in place
for the VLOOKUP solution (in my previous post) to work.

Just out curiosity, how would I do this? Oh, also, what if a tie were
allowed in some of the fields? So, for example, say several people

could
be
tied for number one in average test score and attendance. Would there

also
be
a way of doing this. Here is an example of what I'd want if that were

the
case:

Student Test Grade Rank
Meep 100% 1
Batman 100% 1
Superman 100% 1
Willy Wonka 95% 4 (or 2, if that makes it easier)
Veruca Salt 43% 5 (or 3, if that makes it easier)

Also, just an interesting unrelated question open to all: I'm

interested
in
your opinion on a situation like the example above. When three people

are
tied for number 1, does that make the next person down number 2, or

number
4?
Technically, it is the second highest score, but it is the fourth

ranked
person, it just so happens the first three are tied.