Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Setting column width if #### appears in column

Doug,
I chose multiple #'s because I figured 1 might be legitimate.

Anyway, I wasn't going for a generalized solution - just giving some hints.

I guess you are attacking a column too narrow to even show the #; that is
good.

Just as an observation, it would also "attack" a cell that was formatted
with ;;;

Tom Ogilvy

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
Tom,

I didn't realize you could do that - very cool. I was trying to think of

solution to cover down to if 0 #'s are displayed. This is what I came up
with, but I'm guessing I missed something:

For Each cell In Range("A2:Z2")
If (Len(cell.Text) = 0 And cell.Value < "") Or InStr(1, cell.Text,

"#",
vbTextCompare) Then
cell.EntireColumn.AutoFit
End If
Next

What do you think?

Doug

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
for each cell in Range("A2:Z2")
if instr(1,cell.Text,"###",vbTextCompare) then
cell.EntireColumn.Autofit
end if
Next

Tom Ogilvy

"qwerty" wrote in message
If a column is not wide enough for the displayed number, it shows #
signs.
In VBA is there a way to detect which cells in which columns have that
###
so I can use column autofit to set to the width needed?