Bob Phillips

The $ is to make that part of the cell reference (column or row) absolute.
This is so that if you copy the formula to another cell, that part of the
formula will not shift in relation to where you copy it to.

Taking a very simple example, in A1

=SUM(B1:B10)

copy that cell and paste it to say A11, you will see the formula update to
=SUM(B11:B20). But if you start with =SUM($B$1:$B$10) and copy it to A11, it
will stay as =SUM($B$1:$B$10).

In our formula, we don't want the range being checked to modify if we copy
the formula, so we lock it down with $.

--

HTH

RP

"vipa2000" wrote in message
bob, for my education what does the use of the $ symbols do. I have

trawled
quite a few websites and the online help to no avail.

--
Regards vipa

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Add this to your formula

--(COUNTIF($A$20:$A$3000,{"*TECO*","*CLSD*"}))

changing the column to suit.

--

HTH

RP