Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KH_GS[_4_] KH_GS[_4_] is offline

Default Loop or condition? To check down the rows

Hi

There's unique serial number tag to each row. That is where if I sort
only the selected column, it will not match the number in the same
row.

Example:

1234 Green ball blue stripes
9876 Red green blue yellow

so if i sort selected column with "stripes" and "yellow", it will no
longer match the serial number. and if i sort the whole chunk, the
EXACT formula in the other columns will be distorted as my code checks
only current cell and the row below.

I was hoping to get help on coding something that could do the
iteration thru the whole column(which in this case can handle the blank
cells as well) instead of my method of matching with the cell directly
below it.

Hope that is clear.

Greg Wilson Wrote:
Try:

Sub Test()
Dim r As Range, c As Range
Dim rw As Long, col As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = ActiveSheet
rw = ActiveCell.Row
col = ActiveCell.Column
Set r = ws.Range(ws.Cells(rw + 1, col - 2), _
ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))
For Each c In r.Cells
If Not IsEmpty(c) Then c(0, 3).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=EXACT(RC[-1],R[1]C[-1])"
Next
End Sub

I didn't follow what you meant by sorting distorting the data in
adjacent
columns. If you don't expand the selection to include these columns
then it
should only sort selected or specified columns. Or am I missing
something ?

Regards,
Greg

"KH_GS" wrote:

Hi All,

I need to match words within a column, for the first 3 columns.

I have the following code done, however, this will not work if there

is
a blank row in between the list of words that I have in the column.

x = ActiveCell.Row
y = ActiveCell.Column

Do While Cells(x + 1, y - 2).Value < ""

'to input EXACT formula
ActiveSheet.Cells(x, y).FormulaR1C1 = "=EXACT(RC[-1],R[1]C[-1])"

x = x + 1

Loop

I cannot sort columns 2 and 3 alphabetically because it will distort
the data in adjacent columns.

How can I go about matching the words down the column skipping blank
rows and check with the next non-blank cell?

--
KH_GS

KH_GS's Profile:

View this thread: