Earl Kiosterud

Oops. I meant to post about the multipost in .excel.misc.

I don't understand "graph range." Describe the resulting graph. What kind
of chart are you selecting. Tell us in Source Data whether the series are
specified in columns or rows.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
This is also posted in excel.charting

--
Earl Kiosterud

"No Such Luck" wrote in message
om...
I actually have two problems related to graph ranges:

1) I have a 6-column text file, each column separated by tabs (\t) and
each row separated by newlines (\n). However, each column does not
have the same number of entries. When a column has less entries than
the longest column of the 6, no data is present, just the "\t" to move
on to the next column. I then select this entire 6-column text file
and paste it into Excel. The cells line up perfectly, and the data
looks correct. The trouble I am having is when I select an entire
column by clicking the top of it to create an area graph, the range of
the graph is always from 1 to the number of entries in the longest
column. It appears as though the "\t" with no data before it is being
read (incorrectly) as a 0. I need the graph to range from 1 to the
number of entries in the column selected. Is there a way to fix this?

2) I will eventually have many of these 6-column text files. Not only
are the columns of differing lengths within each text-file, but the
columns will have differing lengths across different text files (i.e.,
just assume that any column from any text file is a random length). I
created a workbook that had 6 area charts based on the columns 1-6 of
one of these text files. I was hoping that I could just replace the
data with data from another text file, and the 6 area charts would
automatically update. Well, they half-way do. The data in the charts
update, but the ranges do not. The ranges continue to be the ranges
that were from the first text file used to initially create the
charts. Is there a way to fix this? I really don't want to (or think I
should have to) create 6 new charts for every text file.

Thanks for any help you can provide.