Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default VBA Code to Return Text Embeded in the VLOOKUP Function

03/21/2006

'C:\yourfolder\[yourfile.xls]yoursheet'!$A$7:$H$62
=VLOOKUP(C1,INDIRECT("'"&C2&""),3)

Again, Indirect only works on files that are OPEN. Else #Ref

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Either add an additional ' in front of your text or put " ' " in the
indirect formula
=VLOOKUP(C1,INDIRECT("'"&C2&""),3)
Be advised that indirect will NOT work on a closed workbook.
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Magnivy" wrote in message
I am trying to use the VLOOKUP Function to look up values from different
workbooks. Instead of manually typing in the "table_array", I want the
"table_array" to be specified in a cell, and am trying to use an embedded
Text Function to return the "table_arraray" from that cell.

For example, suppose cell A1 of Workbook 1 specifies the "table_array",
which is contained in Workbook 2, as: 'C:\Example\[Workbook
2.xls]Example'!$A$1:$G$100

The formula that I have been using is: VLOOKUP(B5,TEXT(A1,""),3,FALSE)

However, this returns an error because the TEXT(A1,"") formula returns
the
table_array as "'C:\Example\[Workbook 2.xls]Example'!$A$1:$G$100",
instead of
the above. This generates an error, because the formula returns
parentheses
at the beginning and end of the "table_array" (I can see that by clicking
on
"Show Calculation Steps"). I can't think of a way to remove those
parentheses. Maybe there is a way to use VBA code to create a function
that
would return the contents of cell A1 without the parentheses.

If you can think of a way to accomplish this, please let me know. Any
assistance you provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Magnivy