Johannes Czernin

Hi, Tusher,

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in message
Were the x-axis scale max/min values set manually? And, have now
become automatic? Double-click the x-axis then select the Scale tab.

Thanks for your quick first try to lead me by my hand.

Originally the X-axis values were set tjr usual way, i.e. by marking the
range with the cursor. I have now checked the current situation: The boxes
for minimum, maximum and "Value axis intersects at..." do show the correct
entries. "Unit" is set for days, "Main interval" is set for 1 month,
"secondary interval" for 7 days. Of all the checkboxes in the Scaling dialog
box, however, only "unit" has a check mark, the others are empty.

I have tried to fiddle around with these entries but as soon as I change
anything Excel would revert to its old horror of jumping back to 1 January
1900 and filling up the entire chart with hundreds of closely spaced grid
lines, or it would simply overlay the entire diagram with a black layer.
Manually changing back to my "good" entries in the box reverts the chart to
the current state with the value series line extending far forward into the
year.

Please note that my descriptions of the various Excel elements might be a
bit unusual - I am working with a German language version of the program and
as I unfortunately do not have an English original at hand I have to try to
translate back..... and as Microsoft of course have blundered quite a lot
when progressing from their English original to the various foreign language
versions the re-engineering I am into now is not easy, ending up in more or
less educated guesses more frequently than desired! :-) I don't know if you
are familiar with this problem but I can assure you I have found numerous
instances in various programs from MS, like Word, Excel or Access, where
even a native German speaker would not understand what a particular menu
item, or a help function detail, was intended to be unless he happens to be
more or less fluent in English!

Or was the original plot range set to the entire year and now utilizes
only a part of the range. In the chart select the weight series and
then check SERIES formula. What range does it cover?

Originally the plot range, of course, comprised the full year. Nothing was
changed here and everything was perfectly in order the last time the program
was terminated. When it was re-started the following morning the chart just
came up with its crazy display.

What would you suggest as the next step in the analyzing process? Just for
your info, by the way, I may add I'm no newbie with these things so please
don't hesitate to go into as intricate technical details as you might think
useful!

Thanks once again,

Kind regards,

Johannes