Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Minimize pain from relocating an XLA function library

Just for the future...

I think it was Tushar Mehta who suggested that when the .xla file opens, it
creates an application event that looks for workbooks opening. Then it can try
to change the links itself.

(Not a pretty solution.)

Any chance that the network location was a mapped drive? Maybe just using the
same drive letter (and path) would be sufficient. (Yeah, you already thought of
that, but it's the only thing I could think of.)

Jerry W. Lewis wrote:

I wrote a library of utility functions in an XLA that have been in a
particular network location for about nine years. IS now wants to move the
XLA to a different location, which will of course break all existing uses,
since Excel embeds the path when a workbook is saved, instead of checking for
the location from the registry's open add-in list (as it would with an XLL).
I have no clue how many users and workbooks will be impacted (probably
hundreds of users and thousands of workbooks).

I can change the links on my workbooks on a case-by-case basis, but this
approach would be problematic for less experienced users. Any suggestions?

Jerry

--

Dave Peterson