Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default A question on procedures

Hi Frederick

If you call your ChildProc with OnTime the calling proc will complete before
ChildProc starts.

If I understand your question you want to initiate deletion of all VBA in a
workbook from within that workbook by calling code in another book. Perhaps
something like this -

' in the wb with the VBA to delete

Sub DelMyVBA()

Application.Run "Book3.xls!module1.Test", ThisWorkbook.Name

End Sub

' in Book3.xls
Dim msWBname As String

Sub Test(s As String)
msWBname = s
Application.OnTime Now, " DeleteAllVBA "

End Sub

Sub DeleteAllVBA()
'http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm
' adapted for Late Binding
Dim VBComp As Object 'VBIDE.VBComponent
Dim VBComps As Object 'VBIDE.VBComponents

On Error Resume Next
Set VBComps = Workbooks(msWBname).VBProject.VBComponents
If VBComps Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo 0

For Each VBComp In VBComps
Select Case VBComp.Type
'Case vbext_ct_StdModule, vbext_ct_MSForm, _
vbext_ct_ClassModule
Case 1, 3, 2
VBComps.Remove VBComp
Case Else
With VBComp.CodeModule
.DeleteLines 1, .CountOfLines
End With
End Select
Next VBComp

' Workbooks(msWBname).Save

End Sub

I'm sure it should be possible to pass a string variable with OnTime. No
problem to pass numbers, number variables or literal strings but I can't get
the syntax to pass a string var, hence use the module var msWBname.

You say you want to call this from the BeforeSave event so I imagine you
will want to set Cancel = true. You might also want to cater for the
possibility of user wanting to cancel the Save.

Regards,
Peter T

"Frederick Chow" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

Mind elaborating on the relevance of Application.OnTime method to my
problem? Thanks.

Frederick Chow
Hong Kong

Hi Fredrick,

Have a look at Application.OnTime

Regards,
Peter T

"Frederick Chow" wrote in message
Hi Niek,

Glad to tell you more detail about this.

ProcParent is a WorkBook_BeforeSave which will call a subroutine,

ProcChild,
located in another workbook, whose job is to destroy all codes in the
workbook where ProcParent is located.

So at the time of finishing running ProcChild, the ProcParent will

never
exist, and that's why I don't want control to be returned to a

non-existent
ProcParent.

Any advise from this?

Frederick Chow
Hong Kong
"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi Frederick,

Maybe you should tell us a bit more about what you're trying to
achieve;
there may be alternatives that are acceptable to you.
Not returning to immediately after the call is generally considered

(very)
bad practice and is even impossible in many programming languages.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Frederick Chow" wrote in message
Hi all,

Suppose I have to subroutines, ProcParent and ProcChild. ProcParent

calls
ProcChild. For some reasons, I don't want the control to be passed
back
to ProcParent after Executing ProcChild. I have searched through the

VBA
help and I found that both END statement and STOP statement placed

in
the
ProcChild could do the job, but they have side effects: END will

reset
any module-level variables, which certainly I don't want, and the

STOP
statement will just leave the VB editor in (undesired) break mode.

Are
there any other options? Please advise.

Frederick Chow
Hong Kong.