Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Using Shell to open files with more than one word in their name

play around with the single quote

Sub playfiles()
Dim PlayFile
PlayFile = Shell("'C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe C:\MP3\" &
ActiveCell.Value & "'", 1)

Tom Ogilvy

"Phil1982" wrote:

Thank you to colonal18 and Gary's Student, through combining your advice I'v
managed to come up with this code which opens the file who's name is in the
current cell and opens it with the application I want.

Sub playfiles()
Dim PlayFile
PlayFile = Shell("C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe C:\MP3\" &
ActiveCell.Value, 1)
End Sub

The only problem is it doesn't work on files with more than one word in
their name. If the cell I have selected has a file with 2 words in its name
e.g. Happy Birthday.mp3 - it opens WinAmp and treats it as if it was being
asked to open 2 files(one called Happy, one called Birthday) neither of which
exist.

The obvious (and impractical) way around this is to manually rename every
file with underscores_instead_of spaces.

Does anyone know a better solution?

Thanks

Phil