Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shell function

If you let shell use CMD, it will know the right application for your file:

Sub Macro1()
x = Shell("cmd.exe /c C:\musicguide.mp3", 1)
Gary's Student

"Phil1982" wrote:

Through searching this site I've found out about the handy Shell function.

One thing that has dissapointed me about it though is that I expected you
could tell it to open files.......but it seems you can only tell it to open
the program

For example this didn't do what I'd hoped
Shell("C:\Music\Elvis.mp3", 1)

I hoped this would open winamp/win media player AND open the file

So does anyone know any tricks for opening non-Office files with VBA.
Preferably without having to use the Sendkeys function.

Thanks in advance