Roger Govier

Hi Barbara

In any formula you can either add to or subtract from column number so
COLUMN()+4 where column =2 would refer to an offset of 6 from the value
found in VLOOKUP, rather than an offset of 2.

The originla formula given to you by Bob to place in Sheet 1 was
B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$F$100,Column(),False)

If you have inserted 4 columns on Sheet 1 then the formula will now be in F1
and would read
=VLOOKUP(E1,Sheet2!$A$1:$F$100,Column(),False)
Because nothing has altered on Sheet2, then it will be reading values 4
columns further over on Sheet2 than it should, so in your case we need to
subtract from COLUMN().

If I have understood you correctly, then I believe the formula should now be
F1: =VLOOKUP(E1,Sheet2!$A$1:$F$100,Column()-4,False)

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"Barbara" wrote in message
Ok, what if I change a couple of things.
I need to add in four columns (a new A thru D) on Sheet 1
And the info I am now getting on Sheet 2 is in A2 through I13

So the formula is in cell F2 thru M2 in Sheet 1(and copied down)
And it is reading from the data entered into column E in sheet 1 (E in
sheet
one searchs column A in sheet 2 to get the data and bring back to sheet 1
and
put it in columns F thru L )

Since Column reads A=1, B=2 and so on, is there a way to change it to be
column F thru L.

I hope I am making since.
Barbara
"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Barbara
Column() returns the column number A=1 B=2 etc.
In your formula, the use of COLUMN() is automatically stepping up the
offset
argument in the Vlookup expression to choose the appropriate value from
the
reference table.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"Barbara" wrote in message
Yes the VLookup is working nicely. Thanks
One question though, I understand what everything is doing in the
formula
except Column()
Is that giving it a variable for whatever is in the column to copy
over?
Barbara