Tushar Mehta

Are you on the right track? Close. You are correct in that multiple
sorts going from the least important block to the most important block
is the way to go. However, within each block, specify the keys in the
order of most-important to least-important.

How to sort more than three columns in Excel

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

I have data in Columns A,B,C throgh J (10 Cols in total).

I need to sort the entire range of A1:J800 in the following order of
importance:

1. ColC
2. ColD
3. ColE
4. ColA
5. ColH
6. Col J
7. Col A
8. Col B
9. Col F
10.Col G

Since Excel data sorting tool handles 3 keys at a time, I have thought
of starting the sorting from the back, taking, in my example, for the
1st pass, CoLG--Key1
CoLF---key2 & CoLB --key3.

Next, for the 2nd pass, CoLA--Key1
CoLJ---key2 & CoLH --key3.

and so on until ColH,ColA, ColE are handled

Now, for the final dressing, I'd take the Block Columns A,H,J and sort
them with key1,key2,key3 respectively.

In all cases, the sorting process will have the entire range selected
with headings.

Am I on the right course?

--
davidm