Posted to comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Somebody. Somebody. is offline

Default Excel protected workbook appears opaque to virus-scan?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I've just developed an Excel workbook with VBA in it, which has been
sent as a questionnaire to c. 400 associates nationwide, as an email
attachment.

Some users are not receiving these emails, because the email scanning
software in their organisation is objecting to the file. Here's part
of a typical automated response from a firewall:

[email]....has not been delivered as it has been classified as
containing encrypted data that cannot be checked using the current
automatic content analysis tools.

<snip

I have no experience of corporate-scale email setups (except as a
user), so I'm a bit mystified how they work with regard to security.

I don't have a clear picture yet of exactly what software is being used
as the firewall (there are 35 different organisations to contact).
This just seems very strange.

thanks for any ideas

Seb

You're probably running afoul of several different solutions and there may
be no easy method. You might try posting the file on a website and asking
the user to hyperlink to download it, the http rules may be different from
smtp rules. Otherwise you'll need the fw admins to whitelist your domain or
your email address or something like that, to get the content through.
(which with 35 sites, would be no fun) Unless you can unprotect the content
sufficiently which it sounds like you don't want to do.

-Russ.