Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
DaveO DaveO is offline

Default Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft (what's the meaning of this?)

If you delete a selection of cells normally, if offers you the chance to
shift the cells up or to the left or the entire row or column.

The Shift:=xlLeft means it uses the Shift Cells Left option.

HTH.

"markx" wrote:

Hello,

Could someone explain to me what is the meaning of the VBA expression:
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft

Intuitively, I would suppose that it should delete the selection, but why
there is this "Shift" part coming after?

The whole part of the code I try to analyze goes like this (and it looks
like a big garbage for me):

(...)
Range("A3").Select
Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Confirmations").Select
Range("BA22").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=
_
False, Transpose:=False
Columns("BA:BD").Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BC:BD").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BD:BF").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("BE:BZ").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Range("BA22:BD55").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("A22").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
(...)

In particular, I can't see what is the goal of selecting first BA:BD, then
BC:BD, then BD:BF and finally BE:BZ...
Is it me that don't understand something or the code should be written
differently? (hint: it's still functionning correctly and it is not deleting
the data pasted in BA22 (lines 4-8 of the code)).

Many thanks for any explanations!
Mark