Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken McLennan[_3_] Ken McLennan[_3_] is offline

Default Application.ScreenUpdating is ineffective

G'day there Again, Chip & Paul,

Your statement is correct if you're talking about only a single
proc, which doesn't call another proc.

Well, that answers why my little one liner didn't work (I thought

Actually, it doesn't. I stuffed that up in my mind when I
responded. The explanation provided by you, Chip, could easily be
considered pseudo code for what I have running.

result when I explicitly enter Application.ScreenUpdating = False in my
procedure.

That still throws me. I explicitly tell Excel to stop with the
screenupdates and it ignores me. It may be related to my wife in that
regard, but I can't figure out why it doesn't work.

I have this:

Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Dim cell As Range
' scrnOff
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each cell In Range("Sheet1!letters").Cells
cell.Interior.Color = vbRed
If Not cell.Interior.Color = vbBlack Then
cell.ClearContents
End If
cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 36
Next
xOut
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
' scrnOn
Application.EnableEvents = True
Exit Sub

If I put a breakpoint at the "For Each..." line, when I then test
Application.ScreenUpdating it indicates "True". I can't understand why
this is so.

This was, however on the sheet page (which I forgot to
mention previously) in the code for 1) a CommandButton, and 2) in the
Selection_Change code. Should I change this over to an ordinary module?
I'll probably try that anyway, but I just wonder whether that should
make any difference.

Still haven't had a chance to do this and probably won't until
tomorrow.

Thanks for listening,
See ya
Ken McLennan