CLR

Thanks Dave.........it got past that line by following your instructions, but
now stops on

n = InStrRev(Len(xref), xref, "!")

I tried modifying it, but no joy.....I'm just shooting in the dark.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Instrrev was added in xl2k.

You could create your own InstrRev97 function and use that:

Function InStrRev97(mystr As Variant, mydelim As String) As Long
Dim i As Long
InStrRev97 = 0
For i = Len(mystr) To 1 Step -1
If Mid(mystr, i, 1) = mydelim Then
InStrRev97 = i
Exit Function
End If
Next i
End Function

(Just add this to the bottom of that general module.

so
n = InStrRev(Len(expr), expr, "\")
becomes
n = InStrRev97(expr, "\")

=====
There are some other functions that were added in xl2k (split for example). But
I took a cursory glance at Harlan's code and didn't see any others that would
cause you trouble.

(Post back when you see that I missed one!)

CLR wrote:

I went after Harlan's UDF and got it but can't for the life of me figure out
how to use it.
I pasted it into a regular module and, all I can get "Sub or function not
defined" on this line..

n = InStrRev(Len(expr), expr, "\")

Anybody see what I'm doing wrong?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You'd want to use the =indirect() worksheet function. But that doesn't work
with closed files.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
workbook.

You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/

CLR wrote:

Hi All........

I am trying to concatenate two cells together to form a filename in a
link............no joy, .......all I get is "That filename is not
valid"........

=[clean(c6)&"_"&b6.xls]Sheet1!$A9

C6 is a name, as Jones, Fred
B6 is a string as R1938

The filename I 'm looking for is Jones,Fred_R1938.xls and it does
exist........and of course works if I hard code the filename into the
formula........

=clean(c6)&"_"&b6 works fine in a test of that standalone part, but not in
the link formula

Any help would be appreciated........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3