Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Default What are the benefits of using VB for excel formulas?

Chris,

Thanks - I've got a couple of vlookups that I can economise on, but the
rest... well - I'll figure something out. I gather there's a way to outsource
calculations to sql from Excel 2003, so maybe I'll be able to upgrade and go
down that route.

DS - Thanks for the plan, but I need to maintain the audit trail sadly.

Cheers,

Ed.

"Chris Marlow" wrote:

Ed,

Thinking on I was probably a bit hasty. But the things that you would do
would cause the spreadsheet to lose its 'nature' as a spreadsheet. By that I
mean the idea of a spreadsheet is that when you change a cell the changes
propagate throughout the workbook as it recalculates. I'd say you would have
to 'batch up' some of the tasks your spreadsheet does, thus losing that
flexibility. I see it a lot the 'paste special' crowd who then wonder how
they ever got thier results.

If you had a bit of your spreadsheet where you were, say, heavily using
vlookups to match data then this may be better done in a database (which
after all has a relational engine which tries to optimise how it joins data).

I'd say data manipulation wise databases can do everything spreadsheets can.
It is just the display that is different. An issue I faced is where I had a
financial analytics package that only exposed itself to Excel. If you have an
issue like that then you are stuck with Excel.

There may well be some things you can do to optimise your formulae, eg
things like VLOOKUP & MATCH can cause issues, I'd google & see if you can
find some FAQ/hints & tips pages.

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"Ed" wrote:

Chris,

That's tough - most of the formulas are seriously complex and although I'm
no authority on access, I've been told it doesn't have quite the same level
of functionality as excel. Is there any other way to outsource the
calculations?

Cheers,

Ed.

"Chris Marlow" wrote:

Ed,

Maybe, but probably not. If you have a lot of rows of data leading to your
results then some preprocessing in a database (Access say) might help.

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"Ed" wrote:

Excel 2000: I'm currently using a spreadsheet with so many formulas on it
that it's limiting the amount of data I can use it to process. If I program
the formulas in VB will it increase the calculation capacity of the
spreadsheet I'm using? Or will I have to do something else?