Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Alan Tai Alan Tai is offline

Default Importing External Data using ODBC

I use Excel to connect to a SQL Server data base using a file ODBC/DSN
connection.

The data base is accessed by a ASP.Net web app, an Access app, and Excel.

When running long or inefficient queries in Excel, the web app will
sometimes "time out".

I would like to change my file ODBC configuration to only allow non-locking
connections similar to using the WITH (NOLOCK) parameter in a SELECT
statement.

Here is my ODBC DSN file:

[ODBC]
DRIVER=SQL Server
UID=myuserid_r
QueryLog_On=Yes
Network=DBMSSOCN
WSID=XX12345678
APP=Microsoft Data Access Components
SERVER=MyServer
Description=SQL Server ROnly

Can I use the read/uncommited parameter in SQLConfigDataSource:

SQL_TXN_ISOLATION = SQL_TXN_READ_UNCOMMITED

to do this?

if not, is there another way to create this connection on client side using
a file DSN?

thanks.

Alan