Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter Rooney Peter Rooney is offline

Default Passing arguments into function to bring data array from closed wb

Sorry, I realised that I didn't show how I obtained the path and filename to
paste into the array function.

Here it all is again:

Sub GetArrayFromASelectedWorkbook()
Range("Target").ClearContents

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sfilename = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Excel Files
(*.xls),*.xls", MultiSelect:=False)
If sfilename = False Then 'User DIDN'T select a file
MsgBox ("No file selected.")
Else 'User DID select a file
GetArrayFromAUserSelectedWorkbook sfilename, "Sheet1", "A1:A10"

Function GetArrayFromAUserSelectedWorkbook(sfilename As String, _
SheetName, _
CellRange As String)
With ActiveSheet.Range(CellRange)
.FormulaArray = "='" & GetPath(sfilename) & _
"[" & GetFileName(sfilename) & "]" & SheetName & "'!" & CellRange
'.Value = .Value 'Convert array formulae to values
End With
End Function

Function GetPath(sfilename As String) As String
Dim iPosn As Integer
iPosn = InStrRev(sfilename, "\")
GetPath = Mid(sfilename, 1, iPosn - 1)
MsgBox ("Path: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & GetPath)
End Function

Function GetFileName(sfilename As String) As String
Dim iPosn As Integer
iPosn = InStrRev(sfilename, "\")
GetFileName = Mid(sfilename, iPosn + 1)
MsgBox ("Filename: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & GetFileName)
End Function

Thanks once again for your time.

Pete

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

OK, I admit defeat...

I'm trying to allow a user to select a workbook, then bring in an array of
data from a (currently) hard coded sheetname and range.

Here's my code:

Sub GetArrayFromASelectedWorkbook()
Range("Target").ClearContents
sfilename = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Excel Files
(*.xls),*.xls", MultiSelect:=False)
If sfilename = False Then 'User DIDN'T select a file
MsgBox ("No file selected.")
Else 'User DID select a file
GetArrayFromAUserSelectedWorkbook GetWorkbookName(sfilename,
"Sheet1", "A1:A10")

Function GetArrayFromAUserSelectedWorkbook(sfilename As Variant, _
SheetName, _
CellRange As String)
With ActiveSheet.Range(CellRange)
.FormulaArray = "='" & GetPath(MyFileName) & _
"[" & GetFileName(MyFileName) & "]" & SheetName & "'!" & CellRange
'.Value = .Value 'Convert array formulae to values
End With

End Function

However, when I run it, I'm getting "ByRef Argument Type Mismatch" with
"sfilename" highlighted in the row of the sub where the Function is called.
The variable "sfilename" is declared as public variant at the beginning of
the module.

I've banged my head against a brick wall so much that my employers are suing
me for damage to company property.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance..

Pete