Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chris Marlow Chris Marlow is offline

Default Is there an easy way to make Excel update Access, and vice ver

Nick,

Sorry, no offense intended, your comment is valid.

Yes one or the other is best ... some people just love Excel though
(accountants for one) - popping ad-hoc functions here there & everywhere ...
but want the advanced query functions of Access (and of course want it
yesterday on a budget of 10p).

In my experience the Form wizard is good if you get your database structure
spot on from the start. But I never really got a handle on using it until I
did my MOS, so I'd got used to always building from scratch.

Cheers,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"NickHK" wrote:

Chris,
OK, I meant something more along the lines of "use one or the other rather
than both".
As you say, depending on the OP's expectation regarding scalability etc and
expertise, one app should suffice.

NickHK

"Chris Marlow" wrote in message

I'd take the opposite approach and say why not do it all in Excel!

Depends on how big your customer base is, but if all you are doing is
storing customer delivery/billing & you are short on budget then why
complicate the issue with Access? A bit of data validation & a few

carefully
written vlookups & you would be away.

It depends on how scalable & extensible you need to be. For integrating
Access & Excel you could look at Microsoft Query - although I hate it
personally. The other technologies I've used a lot are DAO/ADO - but there

is
a bit of a learning curve on both.

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"NickHK" wrote:

Alen,
My approach would to do the whole thing in Access.
The form wizard would probably generate most of the forms and coding for
you.

NickHK

"Alen David" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone that gives useful advice on here ...

My issue is that I would like to be able to process an order form, and
finalize it by entering in a customer's billing information and having
it stored into a Access DB. Also if the customer is re-occuring, then

would like to have it retrieve the customer information(I don't know
how) and populate all the billing/delivery information.

I understand that there are alot better ways of doing this out there,
unfortunately I donnot have the time, nor the budget.

Alen.

P.S.
As always any information is greatly appreciated.