Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Martin Sørerensen Martin Sørerensen is offline

Default Using common VBA code for a series of Woorkbooks.

I am tester in a group where we use Excel to generate datasets. As our
tests are sufficiently similar there is a lot of the VBA that can be
reused between projects, and it is only necessary to change the
message/tag format in a template version of the workbook when starting
a new project.

The functionality includes:

- genereation of the tag structure.
- insertion of randomised/default data in all fields, including min/max
strings.
- Upload of test data set to mainframe.
- generation of expected result.
- generation of SQL insert to staging DB.

We usually generate a number of Workbooks for each project, in order to
have a better overview and to be able to work more testers in parallel.

Until now we have had the VBA in every Workbook. This is a rather
sub-optimal solution when something happens that means the VBA must be
corrected; we have to re-import the module(s) in all Workbooks. Of
couse we are likely to miss some, and it takes time.

Is there a clever way to have the code in a central place? As an add-in
on a network drive?

TIA

Martin