Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Chris Marlow Chris Marlow is offline

Default Why Excel programming???

Don,

..NET makes installation easier. I've only ever worked in house & I'm now
doing mainly Access/Excel work (the big stuff is out sourced/off shored,
c'est la vie).

With my previous employer I was working on the old style SQL Server/COM on
MTS/ASP on IIS/Javascript & DHTML at the client intranet application. Even
with only 2 sql boxes, 2 load balanced application servers the installs where
painful.

..NET world alleviates the 'DLL hell' aspect - the framework handles the
DLLs. You are still looking at scripting to create DBs etc & for instance my
previous employer insisted that TeamSite was used to perform the scripting
for the install.

I'm only now looking at using the .NET stuff with Office (busy looking for a
project to apply it to). I would imagine I'll need install packages of some
description. Should not be complicated though, the only issue I can see is if
I need to plug ActiveX stuff in - otherwise I won't need to touch the
registry.

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"Don" wrote:

Hi Chris, and all who have taken the time to answer.

I've programmed in all VB versions since 3.0 and ASM, Basic, etc
before that. I'm not really up to speed on .Net though. But, building
installation packages is one of my least favorite things to do. That's
likely not to be a problem for those of you that are creating Excel
applications for your own use but . . .

For those that are creating apps for others, are install packages
often needed or does the normal Office install suffice? How do you
handle the installation of any dll's, Db's, or? Do you do onsite
installs yourself or do you give complete install packaes to your
clients?

Your experience will be helpful to me and will be appreciated

Thank you all again for being willing to help.

Don in Redmond

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:04:30 -0800, Chris Marlow
wrote:

Don,

Doing Excel work you are close to the user. It can be frustrating as 'big
systems' events can pull the carpet from under your feet & trying to untangle
spaghetti that other 'developers' have built in the past can be a nightmare
... however that also suggests that there is some mileage in it as (at least
one strand to) a career.

Regards,

Chris.