Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_5_] Jim Thomlinson[_5_] is offline

Default Why Excel programming???

IMO the only thing more painfull that using Access is using Excel as if it
were a database... It is like asking what kind of a screwdriver should you
use to pound in a nail. The answer is... Get a hammer! Can you pound in a
nail with a screwdriver... probably, but why would you want to.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest. I feel much better now. :-)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Many people use Excel for simple database applications. Usually because
Access is too painful to use.
--
Gary''s Student

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Lots of good reasons. One of the biggest reasons that I see around here is
that people are dealing with computer systems (accounting, production or
otherwise)which cover off 98% of what they need. As for the last 2% they are
on their own. The problem is this 2% is taking up an exhorbenant amount of
time and resources. This is where Excel programming fits very nicely. It is
easy to get started in (tough to get good at) and solves their problem.

I personally am a financial analyst. The majority of what I do does not
exist as canned information in our computer system. For me programming is an
invaluable tool to efficiently create the ad hoc reports and analysis that I
do.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Don" wrote:

Somebody will try to read criticism into my question but none was
intended.

I'm just very interested to know what kind of applications for Excel
programming actually exist in the world outside of these groups. I'm
thinking about doing some of this kind of work and am curious to know
what to expect.

Thank you for helping,

Don