Roger Govier

Richard
It wasn't you causing confusion, it was me misreading.
In cell K1
=SUM(B1:OFFSET(B1,0,A1-1))
and copy down

--
Regards
Roger Govier
wrote:

In cell C1
=SUM(INDIRECT("B1:B"&A1)
copy down through C2:C3

Roger,

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I apologise for sewing some confusion.

I should have said that I want the results in K1:K3 and that it is
Cells B1, C1, D1, E1 etc, which have the values 1, 2, 3, 4.. etc
respectively. i.e. I'm adding a variable range of either 3, 6 or 9
cells depending on the value in A

I also need an additional formula which adds the first, fourth or
seventh cells depending on the value in A.

i.e. given the earlier data.

In say L1 (where A1= 6) I need to add B1 and E1 = 5
In say L2 (where A1= 3) I just need B1 = 1
In say L3 (where A1= 9) I need to add B1 and E1 and H1= 12

Any ideas / suggestion gratefully received.

Regards

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK